When I was 5 years old and in Kindergarten, I stole a package of gumballs from Toys R Us. I was so dumb that I took out the package from my tights while we were sitting at the County Court House for Daddy to check on a file he was working on. My mother discovered my dishonesty and then Dad took me into the county jail and explained that if Toys R Us wanted to press charges that I might have to spend the night there without my Mom & Dad. A few minutes later I had to return my gumballs with a confessional and apology. The kind but firm man with the dark hair and mustach did not press charges but told me to never steal again. My punishment was that I was unable to attend "Field Day" that year. Field day was lots of fun and talked about for weeks before hand. I was completely devastated...I actually thought my parents would change their minds, they did not. I learned that no matter what it was not worth stealing! I never did steal again!
Deonna is 6 years old and in 1st grade and has as you know been lying to me. The doosy: I had bought a small bag of "milk maid" caramel flavored candy corn (WARNING: if you have an addictive personality do NOT buy these). My school kids saw the bag on the counter and asked if it could be their after school snack. Since I just wanted to "try" them I figured why not?! So they passed them around and each got a LOT of them...I figured a before dinner sugar rush was not necessary so I had them lessen their piles and then made a pile for Daniel and I to share later. I told the kids to eat what they had and then do their chores. I left our pile on the table. When I was done mowing the yard and the kids were off having their free time I headed in only to find the bag was still on the table but the candy corn was not. I had seen Deonna near them last as she cleaned the patio window, so I asked her if she had eaten them. She said, "I don't know where they went". Hmmm. When Michael came downstairs I asked him if he knew what happened to them...he said "yes, Deonna & I ate them". Hmmm. I was not happy as I had been lied to many times over the last week or so. Now I was ticked. Deonna did then confess. So I told her "since you ate my special candy, you will not be trick or treating this year". Instant tears, YAY! I know when Deonna cries I have made my point.
So this year she did not dress up for Halloween today, she is not going to trick or treat at Daddy's work tonight (she's staying with my girlfriend, Kelli) and no trunk or treat tomorrow either. I am hoping as I have discussed with her at length...that she will always remember the time she had trouble telling the truth and how she missed Halloween 2010. It may sound extreme but she hasn't been lying much since this punishment. I also made it a point not to punish Michael since he had told me the truth. Here's to hoping this works!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It is always so hard to commit to those big punishments, but they're important. Good for you. I'm sure she'll remember the lesson.
ReplyDeleteStick to it Mindy. VERY hard one to do, and she will NOT forget that one.
ReplyDeleteI still like the lie back option. Tell them you are going to share, and then don't!